Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Modal Auxiliaries

 Instructions: Choose the best modal auxiliary. 

1. You are sick. You ____________ stay home.

a. should   b. might    c. ought

2. Dan is not in class. He ____________ be sick.

a. prefers     b. had to   c. must

3. You _____________ buy food. We have enough at home.

a. do not have to    b. must     c. should

4. I am not sure where Andrea is. She ____________ be in the restroom.

a. might    b. should    c. have to 

5. My neighbors were making a lot of noise, so I ______________ sleep last night.

a. could not     b. cannot    c. should not

6. I have insomnia. I ____________ sleep every night.

a. could not   b. cannot   c. should not

7. I left my cellphone at home. ___________ I please borrow your cellphone?

a. Should       b. Must        c. May

8. I am not strong enough to lift this table. _______ you please help me?

a. Could         b.  May         c. Ought

9. You ____________ finish your lab hours, or you will get a grade of "Incomplete."

a. have better    b.   had better    c. don't have to

10. You _____________ dance on the furniture! This is not your house!

a. ought to       b. should     c. must not 

No comments:

Post a Comment